Monday 2 February 2015

Matisanos and Manizales


After 2 days of rain, I tried a new site called Matasanos up the valley from Medellin. Was hoping to fly back and although the day promised much, it was quite windy and the thermals seemed to be getting flushed down the valley. Other than a hang glider pilot the site was deserted (everyone must be down at the comp in Roldanillo as I've only met 5 other pilots, bar the locals, since I've been here). Managed 2 mini-xc's so got a few hours flying in. Too many pylons running across the mountainside for my liking however, especially with fairly rough thermals.




Landing spot in Matasanos
Spent a night in Manizales on my way into the coffee region, which is a small city nestled on the edge of the mountains. Before moving on to Salento I thought I'd sneak in a wee flight. There's a nice little takeoff round the back of the highest neighbourhood, overlooking the valley and with a steep bowl to catch the up-drafts. Conditions were a bit light though so I was only one there. I was just setting up for a top to bottom when I was spotted on takeoff and then asked to wait for a local pilot to turn up to give me a site briefing and charge me a small club fee. All well and good except 2 hours later I was getting pretty bored and itching to be on my way. It then transpired that the guy definitely wasn't coming but I could take off anyway. Great!

Did have a nice flight though, no doubt impressing my audience with my thermaling skills for 15 mins before I bombed out.

Chipre, Manizales

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs