Tuesday 15 September 2015

Back in Mandalay

My return to Mandalay couldn't match the magic of that first visit but I still had another fun bike ride, heading out on a day trip to the royal town of Innwa. I found a lot of distractions on the way so didn't get there till late in the afternoon. 

The first distraction was the Mahamuni Buddha Temple in southwest Mandalay. I got to wear a longyi for the first time to cover up my legs and was given a short tour around the big golden Buddha by one of the monks. He couldn't speak much english but all he really wanted to emphasis that this was a MAHAMUNI Buddhist temple. Lots of people praying and queuing up to lay gold leaf on the Buddha (men only) for good luck.

Mahamuni Buddha Temple

Laying gold leave on to the Buddha


 
Making Buddha's in Mandalay



When I eventually made it to Innwa I had just enough time to see the sights and another gorgeous sunset: more pagodas, temples and monasteries; a mini Bagan.

Slight earthquake damage



Tourist wagons


Leaning tower of Innwa




No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs