Sunday 26 July 2015

Inca Thermals 2 - Cerro Sacro to Pisac

Nice little XC today, following the Sacred Valley down to the small town of Pisac, about 30km.

On my way, Sacred Valley ahead. 
More typical conditions today I think. Clear blue skies with only a few small fluffy clouds dotting the mountains in the distance. Was a lot quieter on launch than yesterday with just a handful of tourists out for tandems. The tandems seemed to be struggling again so I didn't take off until 1pm but flew straight into a nice, relatively smooth thermal of about 3m/s up and was up and away. I don't think the tandems are a good guide. 

Inca complex in the bottom right
The flight was pretty straightforward after that, following the mountains on the edge of the valley all the way down to Pisac. I was delighted to brake the 6000m mark - just - after working the very last out of a dying thermal, but then soon after found a strong thermal while still high, that boosted me up to over 6200m - my highest yet! 

Woop! 

Higher than the mountain

Looking back towards takeoff
Looking across at Cusco (should have followed this line yesterday)
Flying over Inca ruins is fascinating and all the hillsides are terraced which look amazing from above. Pisac has an extensive complex of Inca terraces and ruins and I really wanted to fly over them; they were on the far side of the valley though and the strong valley wind I dropped into near Pisac put paid to those hopes. I descended pretty quickly in the wind, flying over Pisac and landing just outside, near a very friendly and curious group of locals that had watched me come down. Had a nice chat and kept the audience while I packed up my glider. I shared a few sweets and as I was walking away, 2 of the young girls came chasing after me with a gift in return: 2 hot potatoes! 

Could have gone further...
Terracing below
Pisac
I'd packed my toothbrush with the plan to fly to Pisac and spend the night there and it's a very satisfying way to arrive in a place. My first baby step into the world of vol bivouac!

36 km, 1:53 h

Tracklog: http://www.xcontest.org/world/en/flights/detail:iamado/26.07.2015/18:22


No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs