Saturday 25 July 2015

Inca thermals: Cerro Sacro to Huacarpay

Over a crackly Skype call I somehow managed to arranged a  lift out to the Cusco flying site with one of the tandem pilots, an hours drive north of Cusco. Cusco is a popular tandem spot it seems; there must have been 20 odd people waiting their turn on takeoff.

The area is beautiful. A yellow and brown patchwork of fields with the Sacred Valley stretching out in front of the launch site overlooked by some mighty rock faces and jagged snow clad peaks. The valley floor is about 3500m, with the takeoff at 3900m.


The day took a long time to get going. El niño, that troublesome child, is making itself felt. The normally clear blue skies were this morning draped in clouds. They'd burnt off by late morning but the thermal cycles and the takeoff wind direction took a bit longer to get going.


The tandems started at about 12.30 but had to work hard to stay up. It was working though, if not particularly well, so having sat around all morning, I launched at 1.

I flew around the launch site for about an hour, only once gaining any decent height - getting up to 4500m with the best thermal I caught. Thermals were strong but broken and the cycles infrequent, so it was hard to build any height to go anywhere. I eventually got bored of scrapping around the launch hill however and drifted back over the hill with an alright thermal, fully expecting to soon land out and hop on a bus back to Cusco.

Looking down from launch
Looking west
But that's where the adventure began. I went on a glide after my initial thermal petered out, following the road back to Cusco and soon picked up another climb (flat land flying: you don't even need to try). Another climb later and I had my first real decision to make. I was drifting with a thermal and the wind and road direction parted ways. There were some enticing sun clad slopes up ahead however so off I went. It duly delivered: a strong smooth thermal taking me all the way from the lower slopes to nearly 6000m - nice! Up at cloud base, Cusco was suddenly within spitting distance, just behind the small mountain chain I'd  climbed above. 3000m above ground you can glide a long way! I followed the edge of the hills to the east of Cusco but entering the Cusco valley, things got a little more complicated...

Gaining some height

Cusco

Looking back north
High above Cusco
The wind namely. After flying back to Cusco with a nice tailwind I hit an easterly coming over the mountains and across the valley. My planned route, continuing up the valley past Cusco, was therefore in the lee so I decided to cross the valley to see if it was working better there. 

There is an airport in Cusco, in the middle of the valley. I'd already passed the length of it so thought I'd be fine with a quick hop over to the other side of the valley. What I didn't consider was the approach and having pretty much already crossed the valley I was confronted with an oncoming plane - using the side valley for a big u turn before straightening up for the landing.

Flying with big passenger jets is quite exciting! I made a beeline for the nearest hill and we passed with a comfortable margin. 

The final approach
The ridge on the other side was generating some easy lift so I cruised along that while I considered my options. Landing was one but the best spot was kind of in the jet path so it did have its drawbacks. Given that, I thought I may as well press on up the valley. The wind was a concern though, especially given the narrow pass I needed to get by, and I was struggling to work out what was going on. Wind from the east, wind from the north, and the smoke on the valley floor showing a strong southerly! Heading south however and still going up I figured it would work out. Definitely a bit of convergence happening in the small side valley too.


I made it to the end of the valley where it opened out a bit relatively easily, and identified a big flat area to land in where I hoped the wind would be nicer given the more open space. 

Landing zone ahead
...SCHLAPP!

A rough frontal collapse got my attention and then a few minutes after, as I was arriving above my landing field...

BAMM BAMMMM SCHLAPP BAMM!!!!

I was thrown around by a violent sequence of collapses with a big frontal and asymmetric that almost twisted my lines. I recovered fine but still going up and feeling the strain of a poor nights sleep and a tricky flight, I was getting a little nervous. I was still above 4000m at this point (about 1000m above ground level but definitely ready to land!) so I spiralled half way down and then just used big ears to lose the rest of my height. At least it was clear where the wind was coming from. I landed safely, just outside a small town called Huacarpay, in a strong easterly, only going a little bit backwards as I touched down...

The final challenge was getting out the field I'd landed in and I had to scale a big spiky security fence to break free. After that it was easy, with plenty of buses plying the road back to Cusco. 

So, for a day that promised little, it was a surprisingly long and interesting flight. Not technically difficult (the hard bit was getting down) but mentally draining and certainly with its nervous moments. 

56km, 3:53 hrs.

Tracklog is here: http://www.xcontest.org/world/en/flights/detail:iamado/25.7.2015/18:19 

Relieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs