Sunday 1 November 2015

Sirkot

The day I choose to go to Sirkot was also the worst days weather I've had since being here. So a great time to go to a small village where there isn't much to do except paraglide. Luckily I wasn't heading straight to Sirkot (and Babu's adventure camp, which sits up on the hill top) but instead to meet a friend of Juddah's, Benod, who stays in the valley below in Byargari. Despite the massive thunderstorm and rain in the night I was still optimistic for some flying that day, so left early on the slow, crowded public bus and didn't think to check the forecast. I didn't even take a jacket. 

It was a grim day, cold and wet, but Benod was good company and we passed the day chatting, shot some pool, played a game of snooker, and then, naturally, turned to drink. The weather thankfully improved the next day and we took a jeep up to Sirkot. It looked promising for a while but then high cloud obscured the sun and shut things down for the day.

The take-off at Sirkot
The view south
2 days of beautiful clear weather followed. Its a stunning location: a mish mash of green ridges and valleys and an impressive Himalayan backdrop with three 8000m peaks in sight and not that far away. 

The morning view
Blue thermal days however (ie. no clouds) so I just spent the first day exploring the home ridge, with some great proximity flying with the local vultures. One in particular took a real liking to cruising just above my wing. 

 

It was pretty quiet in the camp. I was the only guest and the guys working there didn't speak much English. A great spot to relax but with no one else around and only dahl bat - twice a day (the Nepalese way) - on the menu, 2 days was enough. 



Day 2's goal was therfore Pokhara and like so many of my cross country attempts the day started slowly. Conditions on the main ridge weren't that great, with the usually guaranteed house thermal only producing little broken blips today. With the more southerly wind however the southern face of the ridge was working well and a couple of the local pilots crossed to the next ridge south and got high over there, albeit after some work. 



I wanted to go north but needed a good climb out to make the standard transition to the next ridge. I top landed after a frustrating hour of going nowhere and then changed tact, getting an ok climb off the southern face and drifting with it back along the ridge (I'd thought about this earlier but had been advised not to go due to turbulence - needs must however!). I then headed to the big hill behind which had had one of the few clouds of the day coming and going above its top, hence the attraction. 

Finally heading north
It needed a bit of work but it duly delivered and I finally got some height, up to cloud base at 2300m. It was already nearly 3pm by this point and with a decent crossing to make the next ridge with a potentially long walk out if it didn't work. Despite a tempting cloud forming on the far side I initially took the sensible approach and headed cross wind and up the valley back towards the road. Another cloud started to form on the ridge side though and that time I couldn't resist, and with full speed bar committed to it. 

cloudbase

Get to that cloud!
It didn't work out. It almost did - I initially managed to work a few broken bubbles close to the ground - but they petered out and I desperately scoured the ridge side looking for something before pointing down the valley and landing on an old rice field. I garnered plenty of attention though and lots of shouts and waves accompanied my effort. 

Must be somewhere to land....


Its rice harvesting time so all those soggy rice fields are transforming into nice dry landing zones!
Took me 2 hours to walk out, but it was a gorgeous valley to hike through, with pretty villages and the rice harvest in full swing. Shared a nice cup of tea with a shopkeeper. 


It was 6.30 and dark by the time I reached the main road and what with the fuel crisis, I'd pretty much consoled myself I wasn't going to reach Pokhara that night. I had Benod to fall back on but as I was just chatting to him a lorry pulled over and offered me a lift. Perfect! So I hitched a ride the rest of the way back to Pokhara, stopping off for more dahl bat on the way and getting dropped off in damside. 

So my last leg I finished on foot, and as I was strolling back into lakeside I bumped into Tai and Steve and finished the day with tea, cakes and paragliding tales. 

Managed 23km in the air, over 2h17. 
Tracklog is here: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/1295123 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs