Monday 16 November 2015

The Dharamsala run

Westerly winds again but lighter than the day before and with a nice sky. Thought about heading over the back with Dan but in the air decided for Dharamsala instead. It was a little bumpy and Dan turned back, but with the season almost over I was determined to make it!






Had a crap start and struggled to break the inversion and get any height. Eventually climbed out and decided the best plan for the day was to stay high so took every climb after that to stay above 3000m. Seemed to work out and after ridge hopping 2/3 of the way to Dharamsala I moved back onto the big ridge.


 I was flying alone so was reassured to see another glider was returning the way I'd decided to go. It was a beautiful flight along the ridge just below the cloud line and getting up to nearly 3800m. Passed over 2 small glaciers. Flew as far as I could along the ridge wall, until it curves out into the valley and effectively blocks you off.



Stunning inversion out over the flatlands


There's a high plateau to get over and on my return leg, I came at it quite low and wasn't sure if I'd clear it. I bailed and then had to track right back to find another climb. Very frustrating - I think I would have made it! Quite an intimidating valley to be losing height in too.


Crowded skies at my turning point
  

2nd attempt at clearing the plateau.



It was nearly 3 when I turned around so didn't think I had much chance of making it back. The clouds on the ridge were soon retreating so around Palumpur I headed back onto the spines and started thinking about landing. I found a few weak climbs though and managed to keep going and going, making it all the way back to the final ridge before Bir. No way I was getting over that though and I landed at 5, below the monastery, 3.6km short of the LZ!


Clouds starting to disappear 


2 more ridges to Bir...
 
Almost!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked blogs